Friday 19 April 2013

Sleepy sleepovers

I feel like I've seen a lot of tv dramas and films in which people just rip out their drips and discharge themselves from hospital, and I never understood why they did it..... till now. Sure, it might have been to fight crime or to complete a police investigation (anyone who's been watching Broadchurch will know what I mean). But after 2 nights and 3 days in hospital I have had enough.

Being 'observed' pretty much means being woken up every 2 hours to have a device poked into your ear to check your temperature. Following the high temperature which I seem to have maintained I'm then woken up to pump antibiotics/paracetamol into me. Last night was slightly better but I still miss the comfort of my own bed and the freedom to move my hand without having to worry about knocking the cannula. Hopefully I will be returning home this afternoon (touch wood) given that my temperature doesn't go above 38 degrees as my neutrophil count is back up :-)

Needle count today is 4. One in my bum (hehe) two failed blood tests and one successful blood test.

My poor mother ended up staying over in the hospital last night with a fold up bed which I believe was actually more comfortable than my hospital bed. So we had a really fun sleepover (well until mum fell asleep at about 10pm). Now that we have watched a suitable amount of 'morning tv' the tv is off and I have put make up on to further convince the nurses that I am better and should DEFINITELY not be kept here another night. Last temperature check was 37.2 :D

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel,
    I'm a student nurse nearly to be qualified in August and it's really interesting to hear the patients perspective. It'll definitely help me in my practice. You're doing amazingly and I really enjoy reading journey especially as I'm the same age. Hope you;re feeling better soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete