Monday 1 July 2013

Take THAT Cancer

So today has been a nerve-wracking day to say the least. Although I do think of myself as an optimistic person, I like to prepare for the worst in situations like these. It makes it easier if the results are bad. But the fantastic news is... it's GONE! Or almost gone, anyway. The doctor said the results were the best possible results we could have hoped for, which works for me! I'll obviously still have to have the next 6 treatments and another scan after these to check that its still gone. But essentially I am 'in remission'. I know that the next 5 or so years will be a bit scary as I'll be having more scans to make sure it hasn't come back, but after today I am feeling relatively positive. Apparently past studies and research have shown that at this point, if the cancer is gone, there is a very small risk of me having secondary cancer in the years to come. Part of me wants to go on Google Scholar and do a little research for myself (rather than taking the doctors word for it) but I will probably just scare myself. So for now - what the doctor says, goes.

Here's a question. So I've had some amazing news today yet all I can do is cry? Why is this? And is the wine I'm sipping on (glass number 3) helping?

One of the best things about the results is that I feel like I can start looking forward to our family holiday to New York in October. We haven't had a family holiday in a while, all five of us, and I have always wanted to go to New York. I am particularly looking forward to the shopping but there is lots of other stuff to see and do so I'll be doing lots of research over the coming months. WOOO!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel!
    Great to hear your news! i think the fact that all you are doing is crying, is a good thing, its that release of everything that you have had hanging over you while you have been treated, the day i got back from my last treatment it all just came flooding out! ha and wine always helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ho this is such great news Rachel! Ever since you started this blog I come almost everyday hoping there is a new one and I can get some news... You are really strong and inspiring. I really love the way you write. I am sure this can help a lot of people who suffer from cancer or other illnesses. I hope all your family is doing good. Lots of love from Switzerland. Laureline

    ReplyDelete