Thursday 4 July 2013

Pimms O'clock

It's that time of year! Me and my family have always enjoyed playing a bit of tennis, but the highlight of the tennis-ing (is that a word?) year for me is definitely Wimbledon. Me and Christopher were lucky enough to get our hands on a couple of centre court tickets for today. We saw both of the womens semi-finals. The first match was... uninspiring to say the least. But the second match, in which Lisicki played (the women who knocked out Serena Williams) was incredibly close and had me so stressed by the end I felt like I might need a massage. That's the only thing wimbledon is missing. Pimms... tick. Strawberries... tick. Massages for the AUDIENCE... you heard it here first.

It's half 11 and I just thought I'd write a quick post before tomorrow as tomorrow is chemo number 7, and I'll be too ill to write for a few days. I was thinking the other day about how weird the concept of chemotherapy is. Especially once you are finally 'cured' or 'cancer-free' as I supposedly am. I'd say I feel healthier than I have done in years. I'm used to having colds approximately once every month or two, accompanied by the odd infection such as tonsillitis (until I had the damn things removed). However the last time I had a cold was about 7 months ago! So yeah, I feel great, yet tomorrow I will head down to the hospital to be attached to a drip and injected with drugs to cure me, but in doing so make me feel like shit for days. Where's the logic in that??

If you're wondering why I'm still having chemotherapy when the scan shows that the cancer is as good as gone, let me explain. The bulk of the disease will be localised to the lumps, which were in my neck, my chest and abdomen/groin (I think). But cancer has the ability to metastasise, meaning that it can spread from organ to organ via the bloodstream. The aim of the next 6 treatments is to catch and kill (I should stress these are not strictly biological terms..) the metastasised disease, so that in the months and years to come I don't get secondary cancer. 

It's late and my brain is half asleep so if that explanation made no sense I'll edit it in a few days time once I've recovered from chemo club tomorrow. Goodnight all!


No comments:

Post a Comment