Monday 13 May 2013

The Big 2-1

Last Tuesday was chemo number 3, which means I am now 1/4 of the way through my treatment (that was very satisfying to type!). The treatment went pretty swiftly with no delays so it was only about 4 and a half hours which was good. I always write off the first 2 or 3 days after chemo because I know I'll be exhausted and this chemo was no different. In my estimations I decided that on Wednesday Thursday and Friday I would be under the weather (and need lots of naps) but by Saturday I'd be back on form ready to enjoy life until the next treatment. 

Sunday was my 21st birthday so we had planned to have friends round for a BBQ and a drink or 10 on Saturday night to celebrate. My beautiful girls, being the stars they are, made a huge effort to be there despite many being in the middle of their exam seasons at University. However someone up above was frowning on me last week because they decided to give me some kind of virus on the Thursday evening which left me feeling very unwell and nervous that I'd end up celebrating my 21st from a hospital bed. We had to cancel my birthday plans on the Saturday which was upsetting for me as I had really been looking forward to them, but my boyfriend gave me the first part of my birthday present which cheered me up...

I'd been moaning a while back about the fact that there is lots of video footage of my younger brother when he was little but none of me and my older brother. I knew we had it all on video (or those little weird cassette things we had in the good old days) but didn't know by what means we could view this. So, for my 21st birthday, my Mum and Dad got all of the cassettes transferred to dvds and my lovely Jesse trawled through 20 hours of video footage to pick out some highlights of me over the past 21 years. He also got some close friends and family to do video tributes which he put together into one lovely show for me to watch. Needless to say, I sobbed or wept or something. Whatever it was, it can't have been attractive, and very much reminded me of my 1 year old self! The video was AMAZING.

So that was the Saturday evening and it certainly cheered me up and by Sunday morning I was feeling much better - although still very tired and slightly weak from the weight I suspect I had lost over the previous few days. It's amazing how presents can make you feel better though! I definitely got spoilt rotten and was treated to a delicious lunch at a very posh restaurant by my wonderful father. So although my 21st may not have been what I was expecting, considering all the circumstances... I would say it was outstanding!


No comments:

Post a Comment