Friday 25 October 2013

A little extra help

Writing this post isn't going to be easy, because it regards a subject which I think is still somewhat taboo in society. Counselling. (And mental health in general). For some reason I feel embarrassed that I decided to go to a counsellor, and even more embarrassed about posting about it on my blog. But I know that in reality I have nothing to be ashamed of. To be honest, if it hadn't been for my mum I probably would never have gone. I would have accepted that sometimes I will feel upset and struggled on trying to deal with what the past year has meant to me, by myself. But I'm glad that mum suggested going to speak to someone because it really does clear the mind and feel like a big weight is off my shoulders. It has become clear to me that without this counselling I might have been able to deal with my emotions, but equally there was a sizeable chance that I'd have developed depression. I don't think people should be ashamed of speaking to someone, because no matter how strong the support system around you may be, speaking to a stranger can really make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment